Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rifflicks
    Participant

:cheer: I put the last coat of finish on my cabinet…..Eyelet board is stuffed, wired, and bolted to chassis…PT soldered to rectifier tube, fuse holder and power switch….I can finish the wiring tomorrow easy…unfortunately the speakers from Weber don’t arrive until Tuesday.
    I should be ready to fire it up and test it Monday.
    It took a while to accumulate all the parts….I can’t wait

Robin
    Participant

Congratulations. Good luck with it, fun project, eh?

Rifflicks
    Participant

so far so good…..I caught a mistake and redid some wiring already …I got a little ahead of myself….but it is fun.

Rifflicks
    Participant

FINISHED…..I fired it up…..Squealed…..I’ve been there before… I swapped the primary side wires of the OT and it was good to go….Sounds great….Played the hell out of it for a couple of hours.
    Now, I have to figure out what kind of Amp I’m going to build next.

Robin
    Participant

Nice going, good luck with it! Are we voting on your next build ? I’d serious consider a spitfire clone, different from the 2stroke, EL-84 chime and push/pull so you get to deal with a phase inverter. Great scratch build project and they sound killer.

Rifflicks
    Participant

The more I play it the more I like it ….But…..is it possible to change or add components to S-2 on the boost switch to have an option for more head room

Robin
    Participant

The Two Stroke really isn’t that amp but you could try a lower gain preamp tube (like a 12AY7) to get a little more head room. A solid state rectifier will add a little more headroom too. That would be a very simple installation, install 4 diodes on the open lugs of the rectifier socket.
    But….if you really want more usable headroom, build a Spitfire clone.
    The Two Stroke is a great little rock amp but it’s much the same as a Tweed era Fender in now it breaks up.

Rifflicks
    Participant

Thanks Robin…It is what it is…I get it now.
    I’m going to go do some research on a Spitfire.

Rifflicks
    Participant

Robin ….I found a lot of different variations of the Spitfire…is there any you prefer over the rest?

Rifflicks
    Participant

Robin…I found another amp that I’m considering after hearing the soundclips…it has a P I and switching for a lot of tone options….it’s called the Tweed Overdrive Special…it’s on Hoffman’s forum….designed by a couple of guys there….a Dumble w/Tweed Tone stack.

Rifflicks
    Participant

Pictures of my build

Rifflicks
    Participant

Hmmmm it won’t take my pictures

Rifflicks
    Participant

[attachment:1]P1010293.JPG[/attachment]

Robin
    Participant

That sounds good. If you are considering a dumble or trainwreck style circuit, check out TheAmpGarage forum. Dumbles have a great clean sound, more complex than a Spitfire (which is basically an AC-15). When I built my Spitfire clone, I mixed and matched the various layouts I found around the web and settled on a turret board design that worked out great.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.