Home Forums Design and Building Tube Talk Best Tubes for 2 Stroke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Andy
    Keymaster

I have loved the KT66. Has anyone tried other tubes?

Robin
    Participant

The Valve Art KT-66 I tried was more harsh than the 6L6s I’ve tried.
    I spoke to Bob Pletka at Eurotubes about it (he has always given me good advice), he said the Valve Art offering is not a good representation of what a KT-66 should sound like, so I guess I’ll have to try another.
    I tried the JJ E34L, JJ 6L6 (and various others) and a JJ 6V6. My fav is a good 6L6 so far. I’m using NOS 12AX7s and 5Y3 (Sylvania) tubes, the NOS rectifier makes a big difference over a modern version of a 5Y3.

djroge1
    Participant

I’ve used Tungsol 6L6 and Tungsol 6v6

I like the 6L6 better. The 6v6 sounds more clean to me, but honestly I didn’t use it very long. I mostly keep it as a back up.

djroge1
    Participant

I think this must be THE BEST tube for it

http://store.tubedepot.com/pa-ecc803s-tele.html

Robin
    Participant

yeah, let us know when you get it

Kier
    Participant

Anybody tried a 6K6GT yet? It’s the only one I’ve got to try out so far…

Robin
    Participant

I read through the 2Stroke parts list posted in the TAN WIKI. It specs the rectifier tube as a modern Sovtek 5Y3. The Sovtek 5Y3 delivers an output voltage similar to a solid state rectifier, producing a loud signal with punchy mids, tight bottom end and not much sag. A NOS 5Y3, like a Sylvania for example, gives a 35-45 volt reduction in rectifier output, resulting in a browner, greasier tone with more sag, more in the classic tweed era style. The 2nd 2Stroke I built includes a selectable rectifier (tube and SS) and it is easy to evaluate the tonal differences while measuring the voltages of different rectifier tubes compared to the SS circuit. BTW, the SS rectifier works great in the 2Stroke, I would not say it’s better or worse than the 5Y3 tube version, but it does offer a different tonal option. Also, it’s cheap (4 diodes cost: 25 cents) and very easy to build.

MojoMonster
    Participant
    Quote:
    The 2nd 2Stroke I built includes a selectable rectifier (tube and SS)…

Hey Robin, I’d be interested to know you you wired this up.

I got the Weber kit that included their copper tube SS rectifier, though I mostly use a 5Y3.

It would be pretty cool to have the ability to switch between SS and 5Y3 rectifiers.

MM

Robin
    Participant

I’ve post a schematic of the solid state circuit and switch in my “2Stroke” photo album. As I mentioned in the first post, a modern 5Y3 will not have much voltage drop from the SS circuit (probably what you notice between your Weber Copper cap and the Sovtek tube) but a NOS 5y3 will have a much larger drop and give you a larger tonal difference.
    The circuit is really simple to build, in fact you could build it right on the back of the rectifier tube socket, using the unused lugs as terminals for the diodes. I used 4 1N4007 diodes.

DeepBlue
    Participant

So I was trying my hand at some various tubes…although there are a few I really would love to try, KT66 etc.

However when I tried the EL34 my amp when nuts starting making the weirds sounds, I turned it off immediately. I have checked the impedance and it was correct. Any idea what could be wrong? Bad tube? It was brand new.

Also just curious if the KT88 shares a pin layout with the 6L6 will it work in the 2stroke as well? How do you know if tubes are compatible or not?

Robin
    Participant

Maybe the tube is bad, I’ve used EL-34, E34L, KT66 with no problems.
    I think a KT77 might work as too but I’ve not tried it. I’ve found the 6L6s that I’ve tried in 2Strokes to be the most pleasing (to me), there are many great tubes to be had and I’ve only tried a few.

djroge1
    Participant

I’ve only tried 6L6 and 6V6 so far. I usually keep my amp with a 6L6 and save the 6V6 for backup.

sthebluesman
    Participant

Has anyone tried a 5881? That is my favorite tube for my tweed amps.

Kier
    Participant

I’m running mine with a Tung-Sol reissue 5881 – I love it!
    I can’t compare to any other tubes (due to not having any), but it’s awesome – get one ;)

sthebluesman
    Participant

Andy, any particular brand of new KT66 or NOS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.