Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

[attachment=98]MiniFronta.jpg[/attachment]
    Presenting the 2Stroke Mini…

Please see the photo album titled: 2Stroke Mini , in my photos.
    https://www.tubeampnetwork.com/tan-community/74-robin/photos/album?albumid=54

A down-sized, slightly modded version of the original Two Stroke design.
    This compact amp uses a single 10″ speaker, a solid state rectifier and sounds great. The SS rectifier tightens the bass, adds headroom and punch.

[attachment=99]MiniPanela.jpg[/attachment]

The new Jensen Falcon 10″ speaker seems to be a great fit for this amp.
    I’ve always liked ceramic speakers with the Two Stroke and this new one is no exception.

[attachment=100]MiniChassisa.jpg[/attachment]

The comments have all been very positive, as usual with the Two Stroke.
    I’ve heard, “This is only 8 Watts!?”, “I love the way it sustains and how the notes blossom” (thanks to the cathode biased design), “Will you build one for me?”. I’m using two of them in stereo and it’s amazing how big it sounds.

Don Frantz
    Participant

That is really a beauty. Nice job–bet it sounds great!

Robin
    Participant

Thanks, Don,
    This is a really fun amp.

Paul
    Participant

[attachment:1]PNF_2239.JPG[/attachment]

I agree the mini is where it’s at! Mine is even smaller…I’ve got an 8″ Weber Alnico CVA8 in there. I’ve tried a few other 8″ speakers but like the CVA8 the best.

[attachment:2]PNF_3224.JPG[/attachment]

With a 6K6, a pentode/triode switch, and a little attenuator box (3 and 6 dB) between the output and speaker, this is the greatest little practice amp.

[attachment:3]PNF_3225.JPG[/attachment]

Paul
    Participant

[attachment=102]PNF_3221.JPG[/attachment]

I agree the mini is where it’s at! My mini is even smaller, with an 8″ Weber CVA8 Alnico speaker, which is a great fit.

[attachment=103]PNF_3225.JPG[/attachment]

With a 6K6, a pentode/triode switch, and a little homemade attenuator box between the output and the speaker, this a great practice amp.

Robin
    Participant

Looking good, Paul,
    Originally I had intended to use a Champ-sized OT, but after testing it against a 125ESE, I went with the bigger iron. Boy was I surprised when I tried to install the chassis in the cabinet and the bigger OT smacked right into the speaker. At first, I thought I’d be building a new cabinet, but after I calmed down, I tried turning the OT 90 degrees and locating it at the top edge of the chassis. It worked perfectly, fitting with room to spare and no noticeable change in noise or performance.

I was considering adding a 3/6db attenuator or maybe even a voltage dropping circuit (like power scaling) as in Blencowe’s book, but after using the amps at a rehearsal, I think I’ll leave them alone. One 6L6 is loud enough for me to hear (right next to the drummer) and the amp was mic-ed into the monitors so the guitar was not lost in the mix. It was the first time in a long time that I played a 2Stroke out and it’s such fun to play through. I love using it dimed, it sounds and “feels” great.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.