Home Forums Design and Building Effects Design and Construction TAN version of the Two Stroke

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Andy
    Keymaster

One of the things that I found is that the layout and the schematic really should go hand in hand. While you can build from the layout, with the schematic in hand, you can really learn more about whats going on. There are a number of 2 Stroke schematics out there, but none that I feel comfortable posting here and putting in a kit due to copyright stuff.

That said, I am building a schematic for us that I will include in the kit and will need to draw up a new layout as well. There are a couple “TAN exclusive” things that we should include, like the pop suppression resistors.

What Capacitor values are you all using in the power section? The book originally called for a 40uF. But I’ve most often seen 20uF, 16uF, and 8uF.

Robin
    Participant

I used a 40uf

djroge1
    Participant

40uF

Sluggo
    Participant

I’ve been assembling an excel file this morning of parts for the project that will have pricing, model/part numbers, and vendors..

One thing I just ran into looking at the Weber 125P1B Power Transformer, is that there is no “white” wire as listed on the diagram? I’ll attach below.

Also, Does anyone have the resistor value on the “Input”.. it appears to be blank to me. I’m new to all of this, so my apologies if I’m missing something obvious. :)

One last dummy question, just to be sure:
    The two green wires that come from the pilot light down to pins 2 & 7 on “V2”.. Do they end there or do they extend and end on pins 4 & 5 on “V1”??

I appreciate all of the help guys.. you’re awesome! Thanks.

Robin
    Participant

You need the updated notes from Dave Hunter. The file is attached.

The Weber 125P has all the correct taps for the 2Stroke, even if the lead colors are different. Transformer manufactures sometime change the lead colors, even on the same design.

I’m not sure about the input resistor you’re asking about. There is a 1M resistor across the input jack and a 68k noise suppression resistor between the tip of the input jack and pin 2 of V1. Be sure to use a shielded wire for this connection and only ground one end to prevent a ground loop.

The green pair from the PT is 6.3v, used for the heater circuit.
    From the pilot lamp, it goes to V2 and then on to V1. Be sure to use a twisted pair and dress them away from the other wires going to the tubes. Be sure to ground the center tap (Green / Yellow) to minimize hum.

Study the 2Stroke build photos here on the TAN site for more detail.
    We asked these questions too.

JohnG
    Participant

Thanks for the update notes Robin. I now understand why the Maggie kit has a single 6L6 rather than two 6V6s. I had thought I’d need to cut an extra hole in the chassis if I purchased the Weber kit.

Robin
    Participant

The original 2 power tube version only allowed for 2 6V6s anyway, of course you could beef up the transformers and make a more powerful version but that changes the original idea. As it is, the 2Stroke is on par with other single ended, cathode biased amps on the market.

Considering that the Weber kit comes with Alnico speakers and a cabinet, the price is pretty good. I would consider upgrading the Weber Alnico speakers from the “Signature” series to the “Classic” series. I tried both in the 2Stroke and although they both sounded fine, I liked the Classics better (they are more expensive though).

JohnG
    Participant

Thanks Robin. Will take your advice. However, I’m eager to hear more about the TAN 2-Stroke before I settle on the Maggie. From what I’ve read to date, it sounds promising.

Andy
    Keymaster

Will have a total price and options before the middle of next week. Stay tuned!

djroge1
    Participant

Great! Once it’s together I’ll spread the word and see who really meant what they said.

Andy
    Keymaster

Just a quick update. My goal is to get to $360 for the kit including speakers and tubes no cabinet. My plan is to include 6L6, 6V6, and EL34 tubes in the kit. This is such a great amp to start to hear the tonal differences in tubes because it is so easy to switch them out without re-biasing.

I am waiting some pricing on a custom chassis. I would like to be able to offer one with the boost switch and impedance switch already cut out of the chassis at the right sizes. Sorry its taking longer than I had hoped but you know how it goes ;)

Andy
    Keymaster

Hey all,

Still waiting on pricing for the custom chassis but the only difference is going to be the size of the hole for the mini boost switch, and extra holes for the output/impedance switch. In the meantime, I’m offering the kit with the standard chassis that most of us have used. There is a menu link called TAN TWO STROKE and an email form to get started. Please use the form to email any questions you have.

djroge1
    Participant

I like it, but I do have a question. You mention the current chassis is the one most of us have used and I’m not sure exactly what that is. I use a 5F2A chassis kit from weber which includes a brass grounding plate and the fiber boards.

Will the new chassis have the boards and grounding plate? Also, will these include the wire to make all of the connections – heater wires etc…

Andy
    Keymaster

The kit contains the Weber 5F2A chassis, and a custom fiberboard. There is no grounding plate in the spec at this time.

We will include hookup wire.

My hope is to get to the custom chasis which should reduce the price. I have prices to make the chassis, and chrome it. Just needing the silkscreen letters.

djroge1
    Participant

I started telling people about the kit and gave them the link to the web page. So far I had two people ask about more info on the page. Obviously, they have not read Hunter’s book.

I have provided them with a link to amazon.com for Dave’s book and gave a little more info.

I’m not sure how much more info you would like to add to the TAN Two Stroke tab.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.