Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    M Fowler
    Participant

http://shop.dobermanamps.com/category-s/26.htm

Merlin’s Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass

His 2nd book on power supply design for guitar amps.

I have these two books and they are worth reading.

Available from Lulu, Doberman and soon Amazon.

If you order from Lulu, use the code TURKEY at checkout for a 10% discount.

No I am not affiliated with these people just helping builders out.

Mark

Andy
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I have read Blencowe’s Preamp book and it is an indispensable resource. If you are designing circuits or just want to understand them, it is highly recommended.

If there is enough interest, I would consider selling the book on this site for a great price.

rj guitars
    Participant

Hullo Tube Amp Network. I heard of this forum through Mark Fowler and would be pleased to learn a bit from you guys and maybe offer something useful here and there myself.

I just received a copy of Merlin’s first book for Christmas. It is an eye opener telling me what I don’t know yet, but seems like some great stuff is there.

rj

M Fowler
    Participant

Hello rj,

Welcome to the forum buddy! We need to get this place hoping.

Mark

Robin
    Participant

I too received the Blencowe books for Christmas. Fantastic!
    Welcome RJ, I agree with Mark about getting TAN fired up.
    AJ, we should add RJ’s site to the “Links and Friends of TAN” list.
    http://www.rjguitars.net/
    Good info and parts available there.

djroge1
    Participant

I think if we stay put for a while and not change addresses/servers then in time it may become more active.

rj guitars
    Participant

Thanks Guys,

The DIY tube amp community is a terrific group of fellows and I believe this forum can grow into something as folks find it. A good thread here and there on specific projects or solving certain problems tends to bring the contributors in.

I run the amp business as an over industrious hobby. I have some good resources I can throw into the pot as needed but won’t wrestle anybody to claim some turf.

I learned tube amps from guys with a real strong HiFi background. One thing I enjoy about Merlin’s book is that he reinforces a lot of what those guys were feeding me. They were always believers in the idea that mojo is just the stuff you haven’t figured out the technology to understand. Hope that perspective is not sacrilegious here. Merlin’s book has a lot of info and he goes right to the point on things. I was a little surprised that I had to slow way down and take in much of the info in baby steps.

thanks for your welcome!

rj

tubessence
    Participant

Hi guys, I’m glad that this forum has been resurrected and I am looking forward to participating. I hadn’t heard of those books and I will have to seek them out. Thanks!

Robin
    Participant

Hi tubessence, Welcome to TAN! One of Marlin’s books is now out of print, I think it’s the Designing Power Supplies… title, but much of the content of the books is posted on his website: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/
    His books are great. As you already know, Dave Hunter’s book The Guitar Amp Handbook is super too, my personal favorite for the tube amp beginner, it’s the one with the Two Stroke building instructions.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Robin.
    Attachments:
    Andy
    Keymaster

Have you checked out the updated version? I haven’t yet. I probably should to see if there are changes to the build or if he added the addendum changes to it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.