Home Forums Design and Building 2 Stroke Amplifier Design and Building But there is no sound, except for a hum …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Humle
    Participant

Then I built my two stroke amp.

But there is no sound, except for a hum …
    I have measured the woltag in the amplifier.
    And when I measure right down at the 022uf cap (to the left), by the two 100 ohm resistors. The woltag is only around 100v..

Anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Humle
    Participant

it’s alive! :)

Robin
    Participant

Probably not the voltages. Check all the grounds for continuity, check for grounds where there should be none. Double check the input jacking wiring, the shield goes to ground (important: one end only), the center lead goes between the tip lug of the input jack and pin 2 of the preamp tube (the 12AX7). Double check all the solder joints , post some photos if possible. Let us know if it resolves the issue. There are other things to check so, do this first and report back. Be sure to use a current limiter so you done create a short and fry anything (like a transformer).

Humle
    Participant

Thanks Robin..

I found the error, had forgotten the cord from v2 pin 6.
    Now I just test it with my guitar tomorrow.

Humle
    Participant

Then I tried it with a guitar ..
    The sound is extremely muddy and strong distorted …
    Does anyone have an idea for how to solve it?

info
    Have made ​​a change. I have not used a reflector tube but 4 diodes instead
    To make a rectifier bridge.

I have uploaded some photos in my gallery
    photos

Robin
    Participant

The SS rectifier looks correct and, if anything, should give you tighter bass and slightly more mids than the tube version. I can’t tell from from the photo, do you have a 4 ohm and 8 ohm jack? Do you have the same tone issue with both jacks? The Two Stoke can be surprisingly loud (for an 8 watt amp), especially with the SS rectifier. Are you using humbuckers? Does the Boost switch change the tone?

Robin
    Participant

Double check the wiring on the sockets

Humle
    Participant

Yes it is 4 and 8 ohm jack.
    It’s the same with both jacks.

My guitar is a good old Tokai Start.
    Expected to get a good Start sound.

I must check the wiring on the sockets again.

Robin
    Participant

One output jack is wired for 4 ohms and 1 output jack is wired for 8 ohms, correct?

Humle
    Participant

Yes that is correct.

beelzebum
    Participant

It looks like your volume and tone pots might be wired incorrectly. Double check them.

Humle
    Participant

Now I have I checked the wiring to the pots and sockets and everything should be right.
    hmm :(

I could not find a 500 ohm resistor so have used a 470 ohm. Did not expect it to have a large impact. Have tried to put a resistor more at 36 ohms so I came up on the 500 ohm. but it did not solve anything.

Robin
    Participant

470R to pin 8 of the power tube is fine. The cap from volume pot to tone pot is 500pf. Hard to tell from the photo but I think Beelzebum might be on to something. Check the shielded lead from the center lug of the volume pot going to pin 7 of V1.

Humle
    Participant

Yes, the cap from the volume pot to tone pot is 500pf.
    And yes, the shielded lead from the center lug of the volume pot going to pin 7 of V1.

I’m Afraid I’ll have to find a Tech..

Humle
    Participant

Finally! I found the error, the preamp tube was bad!

so no need of a tech :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.