Home Forums Design and Building 2 Stroke Amplifier Design and Building Modding the boost/voice switch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    s3mamill
    Participant

Hey guys: I built my amp with your help a couple of years ago. Its been awesome and I still play it a lot. I have been modding a silverface deluxe reverb and got an itch to mod my 2 stroke.

Any suggestions for modding the 2 stroke to get a tweedier tone or a higher gain tone? (modding the boost/voice switch seems like a place to start maybe). I saw another thread on modding the 2 stroke, but didn’t see much in this particular area.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Robin
    Participant

Greetings,
    You could try changing the cathode bypass caps (C8 & C9). Remember you’ll have halve or double the value of the cap to hear an appreciable difference. You could also try lowering the plate voltage on the preamp tube to get a bit less headroom and add more grind. Also, you could easily add a solid-state full-bridge rectifier. It’s super easy to build using the 4 unused lugs on the rectifier tube socket and will cost about a dollar (4 diodes and some hookup wire). The SS rectifier will tighten the bass and punch up the mids (and it’s a little louder too). I put up a schematic for a switchable tube/SS rectifier version for the 2 Stroke here a long time ago.
    Good luck.

Lee
    Participant

Robin, I looked for this link (or thread or whatever) but couldn’t find it…any chance you could give us a couple of gutshots of how you did this? T’would be cool!

Robin
    Participant

Here’s the schematic for the switchable rectifier, build it on the back of the rectifier socket, using the 4 unused lugs. 1N4007 diodes work great.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.