Home Forums Design and Building Cabinet Construction Oil Finishing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kier
    Participant

Anybody have any tips on oil finishing a bare wood cab? :)

I’ve been slowly building a head cab for my Two-Stroke (very slowly with no power tools!!), and I’m getting very close to it being ready to finish, and I’ve never used an oil finish before!

Pretty much settled on Danish Oil (already have it), and it sounds like you simply rub it in, take off excess after 5 mins, then repeat after 6 hours, and a final third time? Surely nothing is that easy?!

I’ll add some photos soon – I hope to have it all finished in the week, and now I have a job, I can actually finish the amp after New Years! :D

Alan D
    Participant

I’ve used tung-oil on a solid body “the paul” walnut guitar and it turned out beautiful! Put a coat on, steel wool, and put another coat on. The more you apply, the more shine. I used four coats and have a semi-gloss look on it and used paste wax over that. I would do it again in a minute. It’s durable and very easy to repair any spots. I attached a pic

Robin
    Participant

Great looking finish, Alan. Your workmanship is always tops.
    I’ve had good luck with oil finishes (tung oil, teak oil, etc) using fine steel wool (000 or 0000)to apply the finish. It smooths the wood as it applies the finish.

Alan D
    Participant

Thanks Robin, I’ll have to try applying the finish with the steel wool next time. I used cloth then steel wool but it makes sense to put it on with the steel wool.

Kier
    Participant

That looks great Alan! What does the wax add to the finish?

I did the 3 coats on Thursday and have it all finished now – I didn’t have any steel wool so I did it all with a cloth, and I’m pretty happy with the result!!

The grain came out beautifully and the colour came to life (it was really pale after sanding it, so was great seeing it all come together)

I’ll take some photos tomorrow and upload them!

Alan D
    Participant

Thanks. yeah upload the pics! I used the minwax pastewax and it gave it a nice sheen after steel wool on the last coat.

Kier
    Participant

I might try and buff it a little, and maybe wax in the future? will have to see..

There’s a bunch of photos showing the build on my photobucket gallery – I couldn’t figure out how to embed the photos on here, so I added them on there and uploaded 2 on here.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/kier357/Amp%20Build/?start=all

Just have to finish the amp now..

Robin
    Participant

Nice work Kier, and you cut all those fingers by hand? You are a patient man.

Kier
    Participant

Thanks Robin :)

I may be patient, but if I had the power tools I wouldn’t hesitate to use them instead! It’s far from perfect, but I’m proud of it, and can’t wait to build something else!
    Your tolex and piping look immaculate – do you build for yourself or do you sell them?

Alan D
    Participant

The cab looks great!!! I have to agree with Robin on the patience comment. I’d like to make a finished wood cabinet but I always end up with too many imperfections in the cuts. I think my problem is the power tools.

Robin
    Participant

Thanks, Although I have built and sold a few cabinets (like that Dumble clone). Mostly I just do it to see if I can do it. Cabinet covering was one of the most daunting areas of combo amp building for me. I still marvel at how well some guys can do it. It takes me way too much time to build and cover a cabinet, but it’s fun and mostly I’m pleased with the outcome these days.

SeanF
    Participant

I’ve always just drenched the wood with Danish oil, let it dry a couple days, then apply carnauba wax with 0000 steel wool. Really nice work, man, it looks awesome.

Kier
    Participant

Thanks all!

I kept reading about applying wax and gave in when I came across some in the supermarket!
    What I bought was “Lord Sheraton Caretakers Wood Balsam”, which is Beeswax, Pine Turpentine and Linseed Oil… I’ve done two coats now and It’s got a nice polished sheen and has made the colour of the wood slightly richer – lovely!

I ordered the transformers from Blue Bell Audio today and can’t wait to get them mounted and start wiring everything up; I just need the tubes and a speaker cab after that!

M Fowler
    Participant

The cab looks very good.

I read on another forum about using gun stock oil for finishing. I am not very good at wood finishing and keep learning as I go using whatever I find at local hardware store.

I finished one amp in brush on bedliner for stage use it came out great very hard surface and holds up against abuse.

Head ups about using drawer kits from http://WWW.woodcraft.com they are made from cherry 5/8 wood dovetailed. I have used about four so far for head cabinets.

Mark

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.