Home Forums Design and Building 2 Stroke Amplifier Design and Building Problem with Brass Grounding plate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jordan
    Participant

Hi everyone. The other night I finally got my amp up and running, it fired right up and sounded great. However, while I was putting it together I had issues trying to solder the wires that terminate at the brass plate. I have a 75 watt soldering station turned to maximum power (480 degrees C) and still had a hard time getting the solder to flow. After I finally got them tacked down I bumped it with a very small amount of force and it knocked them loose. I tacked them back down and finished up the amp and it worked great. So today I was playing it and all pretty a sudden, no sound. Opened it up, discharged the filter caps and saw the wire had come loose on the brass plate again. Any suggestions on this? I took a Dremel prior to soldering to rough the spot up a bit, but didn’t seem to help. Do I need a more powerful iron?

Andy
    Keymaster

I never use the brass plate for that reason. Its quite a bit of overkill on this amp. We recommend running a ground strap across the back of the pots that you can tie all the grounds to. Then you can tie that wire to the ground. See the attached image for an example.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Andy.
    • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Andy.
    Jordan
    Participant

Thanks Andy, I’ll crack it open this weekend and try this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.