Home Forums Design and Building 2 Stroke Amplifier Design and Building Two Stroke amp kit rectifier tube

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jona
    Participant

Hi, I actually finished building my kit about two years ago, and it has sounded great! Recently it stopped working and I am fairly sure that it is because the rectifier tube is burned out. I am considering replacing it with a 5y3 solid state plug in, but I want to make sure that this wont cause any damage to the amp. Would it be safe to switch to the solid state plugin?
    Thanks!

Robin
    Participant

That will work fine. Rectifier tubes usually work or they don’t. If you were using a NOS 5Y3, you will probably notice a slightly tighter bottom end with the SS rectifier and a little more volume. You lose the greasy sag of the tube. The transformer in the Two Stroke is plenty beefy enough to run the increase plate voltage without issue. I have used SS rectifiers in several Two Stroke builds with no problems.

If you don’t want to spring for the third party “rectifier plug”, you could build it right on the back of the rectifier socket you already have in your amp. The existing rectifier tube uses only 4 of the 8 lugs on the octal socket, leaving you four unused lugs for the diodes, so for about 50 cents (4-1N4007 diodes), you’d be good to go. I did that in my “building a Two Stroke head” post in the TAN Topics, there is a photo showing the diodes on the back of the rectifier socket.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.