Home Forums Design and Building 2 Stroke Amplifier Design and Building Weber Maggie Looks Very Familiar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    soundguy
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    Pardon me if this has been discussed recently, but check out the new Weber Maggie kit. Looks like Mr. Hunter has found a new outlet for his Two Stroke. I bought a lot of parts from Weber, including cabinet and chassis when I built my Two Stroke a couple years ago.
    I know a lot of you guys build your Two Strokes from scratch, which is very cool. But thought I’d pass on this link for general interest. I’m guessing the partnership with Victoria Amps didn’t go so well, perhaps.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm

Andy
    Keymaster

It is pretty identical. There is a small “change” to the feedback loop where the 68K resistor is only on the 8 Ohm Output, not the 4 Ohm. I actually asked Weber about this and the contact thought it was a design decision, but I dont know how much sense that makes.

M Fowler
    Participant

You can change the NFB by either changing the 68K to 100K or simply attaching to a different tap on the OT.

Does this amp need NFB?

The boost switch would give quite a boost with 25uf bypass cap on V1 but most people use a 4m7 resistor to keep the popping down when switching.

Nice to be able to get a whole kit though like that.

Robin
    Participant

Yes, adding the resistors to the “boost” switch is a big improvement over the original design, nice that Weber included it. At 1/2 the price of the Victoria kit, the Maggie seems like a winner. I was adding up the cost of my first 2Stroke and with the scratch build cab, Jensen speakers, Weber bargain bin chassis and Weber & Hammond transformers it totaled about $350-360. Pretty cheap, but not that much less than the Weber kit. Sourcing the parts and building the cabinet was a lot more work than assembling the Weber kit would be, but it was all fun.

Alan D
    Participant

I would really like to hear the results on the Maggie with the Weber transformers and everything. I know I came in at about $500 on both my 2-strokes.

Andy
    Keymaster

I asked the guys at Weber if they made custom transformers for a project I am working on and they told me that their transformers are made overseas to their specs. To be honest, I have one Two Stoke with the Weber Transfomer and one of the Mojo’s which is a Heyboer and I tend to like the Heyboer a bit better.

If I decide to make a TAN kit available, I could put either in there for a great price.

M Fowler
    Participant

I would forget about the Weber iron and go with Magnetic Components transformers, they have been around for a long time and high quality transformers. Also Heyboer and Edcor as well. The prices of the MC iron is such a deal for the quality.

http://store.triodestore.com/transformers.html

Alan D
    Participant

I agree with Mr. Fowler! Magnetic Components builds great transformers at a very resonable price. I built a 5E3 with them and it smokes! Or Weber handles heyboer and some others for a bit of an upgrade..

Robin
    Participant

Heyboer, Edcor, Magnetic Components, Mercury all make good stuff and the Magentic Components transformers are an especially good value if you purchase them as a bundle. But the Weber and Hammond transformers spec-ed in Dave Hunter’s original bill of materials work great in the 2Stroke too. I’ve built the 2Stroke both in the original stock form and with upgraded parts and I have to say, the original is pretty darn good with the less expensive transformers and speakers. IMO

clevedale
    Participant

Are these the right Magnetic transformers for the two stroke?
    Fender Single Ended Champ Style Upgrade 15W Output Transformer 4/8/16 Ohm
    Fender Champ, Princeton, Bronco Style 5W / 15W Power Transformer 120/240V

Thanks

djroge1
    Participant

For my 2 stroke I used weber power trannie and hammond out put trannie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.