Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    red_fever
    Participant

Hi Guys. This is going to be my first build to replace a Rebel 20 head/cab (at least I told my wife it would replace it https://www.tubeampnetwork.com/components/com_kunena/template/default/images/emoticons/whistling.png)

I like the idea of the TAN kit because apart from Andy being real helpful you get to see what is in your kit. BUT the Weber kit includes their Cab and if you remove it there is only a $100 saving.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the weber kits and your thoughts on their cabs for $100 as part of the kit?

I also notice they use a copper cap rectifier.

Cheers

Dave

red_fever
    Participant

Could a mod please move this to the correct place, it defaulted to Effects and Construct. Sorry.

Robin
    Participant

I’ve not seen the new Weber cabinets, I was not that knocked out with the old ones. Other than old cabinets, I really like Weber products. I have seen the TAN kit and the cabinet, they both look good. You can see the TAN cabinet in my photos.

The Copper Cap rectifier is a solid state rectifier, which is basically 4 diodes, I think Weber puts a resistor in there too to provide “sag”. That would be a substantial cost saving over including a rectifier tube with the kit like you get with the TAN kit. Also, I think Andy is still supplying the extra power tubes with the TAN kit. If you like the idea of a SS rectifier (slightly more output, slightly more mids and tighter bottom end), you could easily build a switchable SS/Tube rectifier as I did with my 2nd 2Stroke. There is a drawing of the circuit in my 2Stroke photo album and you can see how I included it on the component board too. 4 diodes cost under $1.00.

An even easier way to add it would be to use the 4 unused lugs on the rectifier tube socket, then you only have to add a switch somewhere to select which rectifier you want to use. With a NOS rectifier tube you’ll get a browner, bluesy tone with sag.

red_fever
    Participant

The Webber kit with the cab is a great deal but just that one change in regards to the SS rectifier turned me off.

BTW there was a lot of negative feedback regarding weber cabs a while back and then they stopped supply until they got the problem fixed. According to their forum the foreman working for their supplier was an illegal!!!! This was unbeknownst to them of course but you still have to laugh! When he “left” the quality dropped.

If I can swing it I hope to order a kit from Andy this week….. then the fun starts.

Robin
    Participant

I know Andy has done a lot of work to ensure that that TAN kit is first class. The 2Stroke design makes for a surprisingly good amp. And it’s fun to build.
    Good luck with it.
    Robin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.