Home Forums Design and Building Speaker Talk What speakers are you using in your 2 stroke?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    djroge1
    Participant

I’m using a 12″ Emminence Wizard. It’s a decent speaker and sounds really good when the amp hits between 6-7 for it’s sweet spot. I’m also running one 6L6

M Fowler
    Participant

Are you using a single 12″ and not the dual 12″/10″ combination?

I tend to use Celestion Vintage 30’s for about most amps I build but that is probably due to my decreased high frequency hearing loss, LOL playing too loud for too many years.

I recently received two different frequency speakers made by Mojotone I want to try them out to see how they differ. The scumback speakers I got have a funny higher frequency only good with certain amps like my Trainwrecks using EL84’s for some reason.

Mark

djroge1
    Participant

Yes I’m going with one 12″ speaker. The amp in my avatar pic is my first 2 stroke I built.

I used a weber chassis – a 5F2A which is a Princeton and I bought my cabinet from Mather Amp Cabinets which is a Princeton cab.

JohnG
    Participant

Has anyone tried alnico magnet speakers instead of the ceramic recommended by Dave Hunter?

Robin
    Participant

yep, I did it with the DH recommended ceramic Jensens, a set of Weber Classic Alnicos and a set of Weber Signature Alnicos. The Alnicos break up smoother, have a little more mid-range and a tighter bottom. My favorite for the 2Stroke and a Tele are the Jensens. The Weber Classic Alnicos are good too, I using them in my 15 watt Spitfire style amp and love’em. 1-12 works fine, cuts through great but was a little less complex sounding than the 8/10 combo to me.

JohnG
    Participant

Most of my amps have alnico speakers. Might be time for me to try something different. Thanks.

MojoMonster
    Participant

Carvin 212 cabinets, one open back one closed back, one with Celestion V30/G12H30 combo and one with a V30/G12M Greenback combo.

Mixed speakers sound awesome.

One day I’ll get a 12″/8″ cabinet just to see and I’d like to play with a couple of 112’s, as well.

MM

Matt
    Participant

I just finished my first Two Stroke a couple weeks ago (pics coming soon!) & have been playing it through a detuned cab with a Weber 10F150T. Very full. Next I’ll set up a cab for the 8/10 combination.

I’ve also put it through a pair of ceramic Blue Dogs in a sealed 212 cab to bring the mids forward.

Thinking about trying out an alnico Weber Signature 12 for something new — it’s rated at 25W. Weber says “early breakup”, but I’m not sure if it will start to do its thing with only one 6V6 pushing it. Any opinions out there? Also wondering how tight the bottom end is on this speaker.

sthebluesman
    Participant

I am going to be putting the kit 8″ Jensen ceramic and an old reconed 1956 Jensen P10R Alnico in a Weber “Maggie” cabinet. I soon as I get the cabinet, I will post another reply. The amp is done, I just need the cabinet.

Robin
    Participant

My new 2stroke Mini uses 1-10, I was planning on trying an Eminence Lil Buddy, but Rob at CE sold me on trying the Jensen Jet 10, with a hemp cone. I broke it in using Ted Weber’s formula and so far it seems good. I really like ceramic speakers with the 2stroke.

Robin
    Participant

My new 2stroke Mini uses 1-10, I was planning on trying an Eminence Lil Buddy, but Rob at CE sold me on trying the Jensen Jet 10, with a hemp cone. I broke it in using Ted Weber’s formula and so far it seems good. I really like ceramic speakers with the 2stroke.

Paul
    Participant

For me, a single weber CVA8 – alnico 8″ 10 watt speaker. Sounds really good and mid-emphasized at 8-10 on the volume with a humbucker, but too loud for a single family home (and that’s with only a 6k6 power tube).

Clean is nice but alot nicer through a 1×12 pine cabinet with a 50 or 75w Fender OEM ceramic speaker – more rounded with more bass and treble.

Haven’t tried a 2 speaker combo since that’s not what I need this amp to do (the small 1×8″ combo is very light and compact). with a simple resistive attenuator tucked in the cabinet dead space it’s a really great practice amp. Can crank it with great results with 3 or 6 db attenuation. Don’t get the same speaker roar (I am convinced that driving the 10 watt speaker with the amp at or above 9 with 5-10 watts of power from 6V6 or EL34 is part of the magic) but it’s a good way to get tube distortion at reasonable volumes.

sthebluesman
    Participant

I used the new 8″ Jensen ceramic speaker that came with the kit but I used one of my old 10″ ceramic Jensens that came out of my 1964 Super Reverb.

Andy
    Keymaster

Personally, I think the Jensen combo is hard to beat. I’ve used various Webers and tried it with a bunch of 12s but Hunter really had it right.

That said, the first build I did has a Jensen Jet Neo along with the Jensen C8R. I really like that combination. It has a great bite and meaty distortion. I feel like saying throaty, but its not, but it has a feel like throaty. lol. It just feels good to play.

Robin
    Participant

Update…. I’ve had a chance to compare (A/B test) the new Jensen Jet Falcon 10″ (JC10-40A) speaker against a few other speakers, including the Eminence 10″ speaker that comes in some of the Fender amps. So far, this speaker is head and shoulder above the others. I’ve yet to test it against a Eminence lil buddy but the Jensen Jet Falcon 10 is a winner in my book. And it’s less then half the cost of a lil buddy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.