Home Forums Design and Building Effects Design and Construction Re: 5Y3GT vacuum Tube

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    joewilly
    Participant

I finally got my vacuum tubes. Checked the voltages that measured 5 volts. I then inserted tube and turned on power. The filament was glowing and 1 minute later there was a flash. blown tube. I have a friend who was checking circuits for me prior to placing the rectifier tube, his career was in electronics.
    Could it be a bad rectifier tube or something wrong in the circuit?
    Joewilly

Robin
    Participant

If the PT voltages check out (including the B+) and your confident in the wiring to the rectifier tube (double check), it’s probably the tube. Is the glass envelope loose at all in the base? Using your current limiter to protect the circuit from a dead short, try a new rectifier tube.

joewilly
    Participant

:) Robin,

Thanks for the information. I have noticed that people on the TAN site are always willing to help. I did check the the 5Y3 tube and the glass does rotate slighly with the base.
    I spent some time today checking the wiring with the schematic and everythig seems to be OK. Unfortunately I ordered only one 5Y3 rectifier tube. I ordered two this time and now I will have to wait for it to be shipped.
    Thanks,
    Joewilly

Robin
    Participant

If you purchased the tube from one of the larger suppliers like Antique Electronic Supply or Eurotubes, check and see if they will take the defective tube back. I’ve had good luck returning bad tubes. Even brand new tubes can have issues so give it a shot.

Andy
    Keymaster

What brand was the 5Y3 tube?

joewilly
    Participant

the brand name of the 5Y3 Rectifier tube is JJ Electronics.

joewilly
    Participant

I had e-mailed customer service at Antique Parts Sunday night and I got a reply Monday. They said to return the defective Rectifer tube and Once they received the part that they would credit my M/C. Slight inconvenience, but life still goes on.
    This time I ordered a different brand, and ordered two rectifier tubes.

Andy
    Keymaster

I generally have decent luck with the JJ’s but I have had a couple failures over the years. Good luck with the new ones.

Robin
    Participant

I’ve had better luck with JJ than most others. AES is a good company too. NOS tubes will have lower voltage output and a more bluesy sound, the new manufacture tubes will have a tighter bottom end and be a little louder.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.