Home Forums Design and Building Effects Design and Construction TAN version of the Two Stroke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Andy
    Keymaster

Not a lot of members on here yet, but is there any interest in a TAN Two stroke kit? My guess is that it would be the chassis, transformers, tubes and parts to make a working amplifier. Can include speakers as well but likely not the cabinet.

Could get a great price, less than the Maggie. Thinking around $350?

Let me know if there is any interest and I can detail out the specs.

djroge1
    Participant

It might be a good endeavor but I think it would take more than a desire to offer this – great start though! It must begin with a dream.

Would the purpose be to make money or simply get others interested in building amps?

How would we offer the kits? Who would put together the materials and would the rest of us who may be interested simply be investors?

Andy
    Keymaster

If there was interest, I’d just pull together the basics into a kit, perhaps offer a choice of power tube and sell it for a bit over cost. The bit over would be to recoup hosting costs for the TAN, but not to make money. Just a service for members.

I wouldnt ask for any one to help support the endeavor. Just making kits available for less than the retail parts purchased alone.

djroge1
    Participant

Well, I hang out on a couple of other forums and some of those guys talk about how they wish they could build an amp.

If this is something we would want to do I could put a bug in their ear and see if there is any interest.

I’ll try and ask tomorrow about interest. I’d post it tonight but it could get burried by the morning when most traffic happens.

djroge1
    Participant

I’ve had a few tell me that they would be interested in a kit such as this. One suggested to offer different combos such as

1. All items
    2. All except speaker
    3. All except speaker and tubes
    4. All except speaker, tubes, and transformers.

All of those not including the cabinet.

JohnG
    Participant

Just joined. Thanks Robin.

I’d be interested in the kit. As my experience is limited to building a 5E3 deluxe, I’ve much to learn about circuits etc.

I’d be ok with options 1,2 or 3. The most important component for me is the chassis. The chassis for the Maggie would require cutting another hole for the second 6L6, which requires special tools that I’d need to buy. I’d also need a 240v PT

Great initiative.

JohnG
    Participant

Oops 6V6, not 6L6

Robin
    Participant

ok, so don’t tell anyone I’m sharing this with you cause it’s not suppose to work but if you use a regular 1″, 1.5″(or whatever dia.) spade bit in a drill press (I’ve never tried it with a hand-held drill motor), you can make very nice holes in aluminum and steel stock. I’ve done it with heavy gauge steel Fender chassis’ with no problem. Of course the bit will be toast after a time or two (so borrow your neighbor’s) ;). I did this with my first 2Stroke.

JohnG
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Robin. I Have a few of those laying around.

Sluggo
    Participant

Hey! First time poster here.. I actually stumbled on your site today and really dig it. I too, am looking to build a “2-stroke”.. but am a bit aprehensive spending $1000.00 on a kit.. I’ll admit after the two videos I’ll post below of the amp that it definitely has $1000. sound. But it seems to me that this amp should be able to be built for maybe $400.? Roughly? I’m a woodworker, so I don’t see cabinet building as an issue at all. I’ve built over 30 guitar amp cabinets for friends so I’m good there.

My question is:
    Does anyone have the actual layout/schematic for the Victoria version of the 2stroke? I too have Dave Hunters book but it seems to me that there is some differences just from plain view of his layout from the book and the gut shot of the Victoria amp I’ll attach.. After hearing these videos; I’m sold on this being a good first build.. but I want it to sound like the one in the videos..lol. Know what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S74vvQ2w0ZM&feature=related

Robin
    Participant

The chassis shot you posted looks very much like the single tube version of the 2Stroke that DH recommends in the 2Stroke update notes. You are in the ballpark on the cost to build a 2Stroke, or maybe less. My first one coat around $360 and that was with the materials (wood, Tolex, grille cloth, glue, etc) for the combo cab. I used all the recommended parts in the book except for the turret board, which was scratch built using materials from Hoffman amps. If you don’t care to source the parts yourself, you could check out the new Weber Maggie kit (2Stroke clone) or check with AJSwanson, admin here on the TAN site. He has posted at Topic about offering a TAN member 2Stroke kit at a reasonable price. You are in the ballpark on the cost to build

djroge1
    Participant

Agree with Robin about the single tube version except to the left of the 40uF.
    I’ve only built the single tube version and those resistors (can’t make out their values) are not in mine.

My cost for everything except the cabinet was around $350 (best I can remember). I bought the chassis kit and some sozo’s from webber. The rest of the electronics I bought from Antique Electronic Supply. I use one Eminence Wizard speaker bought locally.

I’m not a wood worker so I have to buy my cabinets. I used Mather Amp Cabs. $225 + shipping for a Princeton Tweed with a 12″ speaker instead of 10″.

Sluggo
    Participant

What keeps tripping me up, is that in the book on the layout @ the bottom of page 181, it shows at the left side of the circuit board: a 25uf/50v cap tied down with a 500ohm-5watt resistor.. Yet you look at the picture on the bottom of page 194 in that same location and there are different parts there: a 16uf/475vdc cap with some little keg looking cap or resistor that I can’t make out it’s value.. This just confuses me. I know we’re supposed to follow the layout on page 181 primarily plus whatever changes have been made. But does anyone else see what I mean? Or am I over-thinking this? I just want this first build to go smoothly so I’m trying to iron out any wrinkles before they appear. I just wish there was an updated layout like page 181 of Hunters book. That would make all of this much easier for dummies like me.

djroge1
    Participant

Try this… If the file attached

Sluggo
    Participant

Excellent!!! Thank you! I was just sitting here on Photoshop redrawing the whole thing, lol.. That’s awesome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.